We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I’m going to be honest with you. If I had to sand down every piece of furniture I paint, I wouldn’t have been in this business 5 minutes! If you are a furniture flipper and you sand all your pieces down, my hat’s off to you, you are amazing!
But you need to stop it!
You can literally cut your flip time in half by using high quality furniture paints that require low prep.
I’ve put together a list of the most popular furniture paints, it’s not exhaustive, there are so many quality furniture paints available. This list is just the ones I’ve used and/or have heard awesome reviews about.
Dig deeper, do your own research and experiment, you don’t HAVE to use any of these paint lines. The important thing is to find one that YOU love, so order a sample if you’re unsure.
*This post contains affiliate links, you can read my full Disclosure here.*
- Annie Sloan Chalk Paint – The original “Chalk Paint”. Annie Sloan paints are water-based, ultra-low VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) No priming or sanding is required. No need to remove paint, wax, or varnish. Paint will stick to most surfaces, such as wood, paint, stone, brick, concrete, glass, veneer and metal. Distresses VERY easily. Dries with a matte finish. Price range is 12-15$ sample size, 35-40$ Quart size, (these prices may vary slightly as Annie Sloan is only sold through small businesses and online. Find a local retailer at anniesloan.com, if there isn’t a stockist nearby you can buy it online on Amazon right here! I’ve been known to paint 4-5 pieces of furniture out of one quart( for example, I painted our KING SIZED head-board & foot-board, our long 8 drawer dresser, our tall 6 drawer dresser and our nightstand with one and a half quarts!! Completely worth every penny!
- General Finishes Milk Paint – Not a true Milk Paint, this is acrylic based but does have similar consistency of real Milk Paint. Water clean-up, sticks to most surfaces and dries with a satin sheen finish (I LOVE their Lamp Black Milk Paint .. it’s the perfect black!) Amazing coverage, applies like a dream. Their quart also lasted me through several large pieces of furniture. Price is reasonable at approximately 20-30$ range for a Quart size. They have many different products including General Finishes Oil Based Gel Stains, General Finishes High Performance Top Coat as well as Glaze ( I’m loving their Van Dyke Brown Glaze, its gawwwgeous!) and other great accessories! You can buy their products at any retailer or buy it online right here General Finishes Milk paint.
- Fusion Mineral Paint – Fusion offers 50 different paint colors, which is completely amazing in itself! But to add to its charm it’s Non-toxic, has Zero VOCs, (Volatile Organic Compounds) minimal prep work, easy application, great coverage and (my favorite part) BUILT IN TOP COAT..that means you can choose to paint and then be done, no waxing or sealing required. Although a top coat is not required, they do also sell finishes like Hemp Oil Wood Finish, Fusion Beeswax Finish and if you like Poly they have a Tough Coat Matte Wipe-on Poly plus painting accessories! Prices for paint are approximately 5-8$ for a sample size and 20-23$ for a pint. You can buy any of their products on Amazon right here(I love Amazon!! You can find literally anything!)
- Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint – This IS a true Milk Paint, made of completely all natural ingredients safe for anyone to use, children can use it as well as pregnant women. The ingredients consist of milk protein (casein), limestone, clay, chalk and natural & non-toxic synthetic pigments. I love this brand because it’s all natural, I try to use paint that is as natural and non-toxic as possible, especially when I am working indoors or around my children! Milk Paint is definitely different then Chalk Paint or the other brands I have listed. It comes in powdered form and you mix it with water (don’t worry, there are lots of instructions and tutorials that make it easy to use) It also has a separate Bonding Agent that when added to the paint will help it adhere to almost any surface, but without the bonding agent if it’s applied to a previously finished surface it will resist and begin to chip in random areas giving your piece that very popular “chippy” look.They also offer Furniture Wax. Prices for paint range from approximately 10$ for a sample size and 25$ for a quart. Of course, Amazon sells it right here! AND if you have prime, its FREE shipping!
- Dixie Belle Paint Company – This is a chalk mineral paint that comes in 55 beautiful color choices. It has Zero VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and is non-toxic. No prep, no sanding, no priming, all you need to do is clean your piece and paint it! Easy to distress and dries with a matte finish. They also sell The Best Dang Furniture Wax ( that’s what it’s really called!) stains and metallic paint and lots of other fun painting accessories. Their prices for paint range from 10$ for a sample size to 30$ for a quart. You can find a local retailer at dixiebellepaint.com or you can simply buy the paint directly from their website here.
So there you have it. All these paint brands are quality and all of them are different and awesome in their own right.
Paint IS important, it’s as important as a good piece of furniture. If you put crappy paint on a gorgeous piece of furniture it will look crappy in no time. Durability is super important to keeping customers happy and coming back to you, so pick wisely, your business depends on it!
I’d love to hear from you! What is your favorite brand of furniture paint to use?