We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
These days there are so many awesome ways to make extra cash on the side (or even a full-time income) from your home. Although my husband makes a great income and I get to stay home with my kids, I still find so much satisfaction in helping with the finances!
A little background on me. I started Flipping Furniture for profit about three years ago after my sister started a little Facebook business page doing it.
Prior to that I was selling used designer jeans as a fun way to make extra cash on the side! P.S. You can check out how you can make money super easily selling used designer fashion pieces, such as clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry..etc, read about it here!)
I thought there was no way I would be good at re-finishing furniture, it required far too much creativity that I just knew I didn’t possess!
If this is what you are telling yourself, you probably have no idea the abilities you have, I certainly didn’t!
Long story short, I threw my sister a Vintage inspired baby shower that I painted a few pieces of furniture for, and pretty soon I was absolutely hooked! Who knew that flipping furniture could be so addictive!?
How you can get started today!
Flipping Furniture is something you can start doing right away, no prior experience required! I found my first piece to sell on a garage sale page, picked it up, painted it white and sold it within a couple of days! That was before I even knew anything about painting furniture. You can do this too, I promise!
You may think you have no time or space to do this. I have three (going on four kids) 6 and under and my sister has five kids 11 and under!
When it comes to space, you just use what you’ve got! For me, until recently, it was my mud room. ( We now have a gorgeous poll barn that I do my projects in!)
My sister has always used her living room. So yeah, you’ve got space… you just need to find a way to not annoy your spouse with all your projects!!
The key is finding the best time to paint that works for you. My best time was always the kids nap time, two hours was plenty of time to paint two coats on a piece of furniture!
You may find that getting up early works best for you, or if you have kids or a full-time job, it may be after they go to bed or sometime during the evening.
If you have kids and they aren’t in school you could paint anytime during the day and just let them do a craft or something fun while you paint!
P.S. If you are painting in the house be sure you are using non-toxic, and no or VERY low VOC, high quality furniture paints. Don’t worry I’ve got you covered, I’ve got a list of the top 5 furniture paints that are safe to use inside! You can check it out here >5 Best Low-Prep Furniture Paints You Will Absolutely Love.
There are a ton of places you can find used furniture to flip! My favorite places are online garage sales pages ( you can find those in your search bar on Facebook, just write in your area along with “online garage sale” or “online yard sale”) join all your local ones!
You can also use, Craigslist, thrift shops, auctions, flea markets, the side of the road… yep, free is always best!!
Once you’ve found a few pieces to flip, you’ve got your paint, a paintbrush, and you’re ready to kill it flipping furniture for profit, you can start a Facebook Business Page! I wrote this post to help you start one for free in under 10 minutes!
You can check out our Facebook Business page where we sell our furniture here > Rustique Elegance. Sometimes it helps to get a visual of what other Flippers are doing!
My favorite resources and recommendations!
*This post contains affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure right here*
When I first started Flipping Furniture I learned how to paint, wax, tips & techniques, etc… from watching YouTube videos and checking out Pinterest! I’m very visual and this really helped me to be sure I was going about it all the right way!
Here are my favorite tools and resources for Flipping Furniture;
- Paint: I started by using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Products, and they are STILL my favorite today! Her paint could be considered pricey but I’ve been known to paint 3-4 pieces of furniture out of one Quart, and you can’t beat the quality! Plus it’s the ORIGINAL Chalk Paint, it all started with Annie! You can find her products right here!
I also have started using Fusion Mineral Paint and I absolutely LOVE it and highly recommend trying it! The best thing about it is it has a built-in topcoat, so no waxing or extra steps required, just paint and sell! You can find it right here!
( You can check out my top 5 furniture paint list and what makes them awesome right here!)
- Paint brushes: Although I own this Annie Sloan paint brush it’s not necessary to spend a lot of money on a brush. I also love my Purdy paint brush, great quality and inexpensive! You should definitely buy a high quality paint brush, as it will do a better job and conserve paint, which saves you time and money!
- Courses: Although taking a course in Flipping Furniture and learning about the business side of it all is not absolutely necessary, it’s something I wish I had done sooner than I did! I highly, highly recommend Rebecca Hansen Groskreutz’s Flipping Furniture For Profit 12 Step Course, we more then doubled our profits after implementing what we learned in the course and it helped us improve our business skills, photography and staging skills, marketing…literally EVERYTHING! This course is well worth every penny!
** The Flipping Furniture for Profit 12 Step Course is currently closed until January EXCEPT to those who sign-up through my link above, so if you try to sign up a different way you will need to wait until January to start!!**
I recommend joining the Flipping Furniture For Profit Facebook Group as well, you won’t regret it!!
If budget doesn’t allow for you to take the 12 Step Course right now, Rebecca just launched 3 AMAZING mini courses ( which are not really mini at all!) that are super inexpensive and contain tons and tons of information, check them out below;
- The Ultimate Guide to Staging & Photography – this is probably THE single most important part of selling your furniture and growing your business! Beautiful, professional staging and photography draws in quality customers and makes you money! Learn how to stage and photograph your furniture like a pro. If you take no other course, THIS one is the one to take!
- The Furniture Artists Guide to Custom Furniture Painting – Custom work is the biggest money-maker in the business, the sooner you start taking on custom work, the better! There are some very important steps to take when it comes to custom work and this course is your key to getting it done without problems, it covers absolutely everything from how to get the work to professional contracts and everything in between!
- The Ultimate Guide to Instagram for Furniture Artists – Instagram is becoming increasingly trendy and popular, and that means you should be utilizing it! This course will teach you everything you need to know to use Instagram to grow you followers and make money!